After
doing my Think Aloud, I wasn't as intimidated to do my Strategy Lesson. I was nervous
by the planning of the presentation and the activity itself as I was
assigned the specific strategy. When I read the book’s description of the strategy,
I wasn’t able to quickly think of an activity that would work well. With
partner reading, it helps to have material that students could read. Many math
textbooks have example problems and practice problems throughout the chapter
with very little text in between. I originally wanted to find a fiction math
novel or story to use as I thought that would work better with partner reading.
I eventually decided to use a common core text in order to bring up the point
that some strategies should be adjusted to fit a classroom. If you as the
teacher believe that there is a better way to reach your students, by all means
adjust the instructions! I almost wish that I could have used The Phantom Tollbooth as well as the
textbook in order to compare the way the two texts worked with the strategy.
I
didn’t receive as much feedback as I was hoping to, so I’m not sure if there
were any suggestions from the class as to how I divided the text up and
adjusted the strategy. I also realized that I forgot to time the activity. In
planning I was mindful of the five to ten minute suggestion, but I didn’t expect
our class to need more than five minutes to complete the activity. In the
future, I would most likely set a timer so that students know about how much
longer they have to work on the activity.
Overall,
I enjoyed working with the strategy lesson and I can see it being useful if I
had a text I wanted students to read that contained more difficult information
or language. By creating partners, the students can work through their combined
knowledge and discover the message of the text.
No comments:
Post a Comment