Monday, September 26, 2016

Remember: Students are in the Classroom

This section of text stood out to me as the main focus of the chapter was interpersonal relationships within the classroom. While many of my classmates decided to teach because they are passionate about a subject, I decided to teach because I am passionate about students. I believe that so much emphasis is placed on content and pedagogy and testing that it is easy to forget that there are students at the center of it all. How can we expect a car to run if there is no engine to fuel it? Students are the variable in the classroom and no matter how well prepared we are as teachers, so much of a course’s success depends on the students. I believe that the environment in which a student learns is just as, if not more, important as the content presented to them. If students do not feel comfortable or welcome in a classroom, how can they be expected to focus on materials when their minds are preoccupied with their uncomfortableness?

Some of the best courses that I have taken have been structured around open and accepting environments. Some of the best teachers that I have had have made a conscious effort to get to know who I was as an individual. I noticed when I saw my teachers in the audience at the shows I was in, especially when they made an effort to stay after and talk to me. Simple actions like attending games and concerts and competitions are enough to let students know that you are there for them and that you are interested in them as individuals.




[270]

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maddie! I've always admired those teachers committed to attending all the many extra-curricular activities and performances in which their students are involved. If I'm honest, that's always been a weakness of mine as a teacher, which isn't to say I never attend extra-curricular activities, but some teachers are ALWAYS there. Amazing. It can mean a great deal to students, though, so if a teacher can manage it, joining in those activities is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Maddie! I couldn't agree with you more. Having this close relationship with my teachers gave me the positive attitude needed for their class. I was always eager to show off what I had read the night before to impress the teacher (middle school teacher's pet). I love the opinion you gathered from the passage and how you it to the car. It's so true that we often get so wrapped up in the success of the classroom that we tend to forget the success of the students or even the students themselves. Awesome job Mads!
    [97]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete