I enjoyed presenting my think aloud to the class. I was
slightly more caffeinated than I should have been, and that may have caused me
to rush through some of my explanations. I was also worried about taking up too
much time, even though I had decided to only work through the first two
problems on the worksheet. The worksheet itself is a useful tool and in finding
it I found an extensive collection of similar tools. The Georgia Standards of
Excellence website has problems, exercises, and worksheets for all math levels
broken down into units and topics. Math problems can be difficult to create,
especially ones that cover multiple topics effectively, and having so many in
one spot will be incredibly helpful as a first time teacher.
I was excited to hear that so many people enjoyed my think
aloud, especially parts that came naturally to me. Like I mentioned in class, I
consciously make a point to read the instructions before I step into a problem.
I have also gotten into the habit of simplifying math terms in order to make
sure I understand the question, and hearing that my “students” enjoyed that was
reassuring.
I believe that a think aloud would be useful to do with
students when new types of problems are introduced. As a review, many students
have experienced some word problems before and would not benefit as much from
the think aloud. This could be a way to introduce a type of problem at the
beginning of a new unit. Overall, having a math problem and chart broken down
could help students understand a concept and how to solve that concept better.
Suzy's Company Worksheet
Suzy's Company Worksheet
[278]
No comments:
Post a Comment