As I began reading this chapter, I could think of one content
area reading that has drawn my interest, especially after the book referenced
one of the events contained in the reading on page 70: Hamilton.
I know that the musical isn’t exactly reading material
and it isn’t exactly 100% historically accurate, but I have multiple friends
that have picked up Ron Chernow’s biography Alexander
Hamilton that Lin Manuel Miranda based the incredibly addictive musical on.
An increasingly large number of students now know more information about a
founding father than anyone would have expected prior to the show’s opening. We
need more materials like this that have the opportunity to pique students’
interests in the classroom, to push the door open a crack.
While nonfiction is full of useful information that students
have direct access too, they might not always use it unless they are hooked. I
know that I am personally more inclined to learn about Bonnie and Clyde and the
Great Depression or the Suffragette movement in England simply because I have
had musicals and content reading to pique my interests.


Oh, Maddie! Why doesn’t it surprise me that you wrote about Hamilton in your post? ;) Anyways, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on how interesting content-related texts, especially musicals, can pique a student’s interest in the course subject. Like you, I really love musicals and other theatre works! Another musical that I was thinking could serve students well would be Les Miserables, which deals with the French Revolution. Also, I once read a play called “Proof”, which has been adapted into a film starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Jake Gyllenhaal, which dealt with different mathematical concepts like proofs and puns about imaginary numbers. Check those out if you haven't already! :)
ReplyDelete110
Emily
Maddie! I think incorporating something like Hamilton into a social studies classroom can only win. I mean, imagine the sort of rich discussions you could have about ethnic minorities playing the role of the white "founding fathers"? Such a good idea. Do it!
ReplyDelete