Monday, August 29, 2016

Baby Dinosaurs on Textbooks

(Isn't he cute??)
This section of the reading stood out to me, mainly because I had one of the textbooks that was discussed. My 12th grade AP Biology course used Holt Mcdougall's Biology textbook that is mentioned on page 50. I can tell you two things about this book off the top of my head:
  1. It’s green with a baby reptile hatching out of an egg (I lovingly saw it as a dinosaur).
  2. So many pictures and diagrams.
Personally, that AP Biology course is one of my favorite classes I have ever taken, and I did not like biology before that year. Even though my teacher was absent for a large portion of the year for maternity leave, both she and our sub did a wonderful job incorporating the text in a way that didn’t make it too much of a burden. The online resources that accompanied the text, such as videos and interactive lessons, allowed us to sort through the text before and during our sections of reading. We used the materials that accompanied the text as well as outside studies and articles to make sense of the concepts while our textbooks were used as the reference materials described on pages 53 and 54. I remember reading chapters throughout the year, but I remember using the diagrams to work in class even more. The textbook existed as my personal study guide for homework, classwork, and even helped me study for the AP exam.


This long personal anecdote is meant to be an example of the overall argument of this chapter of Subjects Matter: textbooks aren’t great, but they can be.
[270]

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I always liked text books. Yes, some are useful and some aren’t, but at some point they do come in handy during the school year. Text books were usually my backbone in middle and high school. Like you said, I also used them as a study guide and to help me with certain assignments and homework. However, my teachers did a good job at not just teaching out of the text book. They, too, used videos and their own guided notes to help us dig into the material even deeper. I think text books are a safety net for students. Even if they don’t like them, they will eventually have to refer to them for something whether it be to study for a test, a project, or just a simple assignment.
    132 words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear an alternative perspective on textbooks! The textbook--and many of your classmates--operate on the assumption that textbooks are a bummer. You and Keyeli are right, though: textbooks can be used to enrich a classroom. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete