When you don't understand a project's instructions
As a student who took mostly advanced level courses, I love
this chapter. So many times I would be assigned a task and be expected to already
know how to approach it simply because I was in the advanced course. I remember
my freshman biology teacher explaining that we needed a current event article
every Friday morning to discuss with the course. As a 14-year-old, I had no
idea how to find a scholarly article. I panicked every week as I googled any
combination of words that came to mind until I found something that I thought
would work. Yes, I did discover how to search for articles on my own, but I was
never sure that I was going about it in the best way.
Sneaky teachers. Mind blown.
With the workshop structure, students are given just enough instruction
to feel their way around unfamiliar texts while their teacher is waiting to
step in if they should stumble. Students are also able to find materials that
are interesting to them while being relevant
to your subject. If your students can
find materials that really intrigues them, it’s almost like you’re tricking
them into learning “boring school stuff.” For students that don’t typically
engage in class, this could be a helpful step to get those students to tune in
to the subject matter.
I love how you said that teachers almost trick students into learning boring things. I think that a good teacher makes the subject matter more entertaining, or at least bearable, no matter how boring it might be. There are so many different ways of teaching, and I hope that teachers pick a way, or many ways, that connect with the students so they can not only hear what is being said but learn it and learn to apply it. word count: 79
The workshop method is absolute gold as far as I'm concerned. A common rookie mistake is to spend more than 15 minutes or so in front of the class teaching, after which time students become disengaged and possibly misbehave. The workshop approach remedies this. It keeps students moving, which is a must based on my experience. Thanks, Maddie!
I love how you said that teachers almost trick students into learning boring things. I think that a good teacher makes the subject matter more entertaining, or at least bearable, no matter how boring it might be. There are so many different ways of teaching, and I hope that teachers pick a way, or many ways, that connect with the students so they can not only hear what is being said but learn it and learn to apply it.
ReplyDeleteword count: 79
The workshop method is absolute gold as far as I'm concerned. A common rookie mistake is to spend more than 15 minutes or so in front of the class teaching, after which time students become disengaged and possibly misbehave. The workshop approach remedies this. It keeps students moving, which is a must based on my experience. Thanks, Maddie!
ReplyDelete