Pernille Ripp is an educator who firmly believes in book
clubs. In this blog post, she discusses some of the factors that go into
creating a book club environment to encourage students to buy into the
activity. While most of her points align with those presented in Subjects Matter and what I personally
believe, some of them do not.
She discusses student choice and, while I believe that there
needs to be an aspect of student choice in this activity, I‘m not sure I’m on
board with the level of freedom she gives her students. Students should be able
to pick a book from a wide variety of selections; however, I don’t think that
they should be able to start a book and abandon it. I think that by allowing
this, students are not as accountable to selecting their books and doing the
work. It almost feels like giving them an “out” if they find out that the book
they chose is more difficult/longer than they wanted rather than what they can
handle.
I thought it was interesting that she mentioned that
teachers should remain on the edge of the activity and refrain from joining a
discussion. While the book discusses starting out by actively participating in
the groups only to slowly back away as the students grow accustomed to the
activity, Ripp states that the teacher’s presence within a group could cause
students to become hesitant with their opinions and thoughts. I remember being
afraid that I would say something incorrect in the seminars I was a part of in
high school. Not because of my peers, but because I didn’t want to be corrected
by the teacher in front of other students.
This article brings out the question of “How much choice is
too much choice?” when planning a literature circle. I don’t think there is an
exact answer to that question. There are varying levels of choice that should
be offered depending on each classroom.
[328]

Excellent insights, Maddie, and thank you for sharing the article. It is very important that teachers be sensitive to their students needs so that they appropriately calibrate the level of freedom provided in activities like book clubs. In my opinion, that sensitivity may lead one to allow a student to drop a book midway. If she hates the book and isn't going to read it, what's the point in forcing her to? At the same time, a sensitive teacher may know that this books the perfect fit for the student, and will therefore encourage her to persevere. Based on my experience, I'm not sure there are very many general rules for teaching that apply to all students and all contexts, but I can say that being sensitive to what my students needed often helped me make smart decisions. Thanks!
ReplyDelete