Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Monster's Proof


I just want to start this pitch by saying: I had multiple books to choose from, and I picked this one.



Monster's Proof is a novel by Richard Lewis that is anything but boring. The Ell family consists of math geniuses, with the exception of Livey who knows more about math than she would like but struggles with basic math concepts. When her little brother, Darby, brings his old imaginary friend, Bob, to life using math proofs, their world gets even crazier. This book is centered around a family immersed in mathematics,  and I would say the genre is more math-fi than sci-fi. This book has everything: math formulas and theories, weird character names, out of control math monsters, the NSA, and even a math cult.

This book tricks the reader into forgetting that they are reading a "math novel" by hiding all of the math in plain sight within an intriguing plot line. The suspenseful premise of the book has already pulled me in, and will no doubt pull in a middle school student who is hesitant to read a "math book."

I'm really excited to read more about the math cult.
Here are some of the facts:

  • The lexile number is HL680L. The HL stands for "High-Low" meaning it is grade appropriate content written at an easier reading level to engage struggling students. 
  • This book would be appropriate to use in a 7th or 8th grade classroom.
  • There are 288 pages in the book.
  • The paperback version is $7.99 on Amazon, and $7.59 for the Kindle version.
  • The book received 4.2 stars on Amazon (The two people who gave it 2 stars didn't write an actual review, so I don't trust them)

Overall, I believe this book could reach the most skeptical student with the cleverly intertwined math based plot. Also, what middle school student won't want to know more about a math cult, or think an imaginary friend named Bob is funny? Middle schoolers love things named Bob.

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept of "math"-fi. I've never heard of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't judge a book by its cover. I just did and this looks AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah the cover is intriguing. Love all these math books! and the reading level is great

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done with your presentation and persuation

    ReplyDelete
  6. tricks people into learning math haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely hated math proofs so this book looks like an awesome way to make these seem more "everyday"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you found a good fit for the math class!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this would be a great math book to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a good read about math!

    ReplyDelete