This course has been more than I expected it to be. I read
the description and expected to spend a semester talking about how important
reading is over and over again. While that is essentially what happened, it
wasn’t through the redundant conversations I was expecting.
Through our Subjects
Matter readings, Daniels and Zimmelman have given us many different tools
to use in our classrooms to promote good reading strategies with our students. While
I don’t believe that I will use all the strategies within the text in my math
classroom, I can see how effective they could be for classes that are more
naturally inclined to text readings, such as history and science. I believe
that the “Think Aloud” strategy is applicable across content areas and that it
is particularly useful in teaching students how to read word problems. In
middle school, students begin to see more complex test questions and this strategy
will help them learn to efficiently sort through information to solve a
problem.
We reviewed the “Literature Circle” strategy by actually
participating in literature circles. While I am not sure how I would implement
this strategy in my class, I do know that I would like to use it to supplement
my students’ reading skills. My group read Monster’s
Proof and while the book covers some math content that is advanced for
middle school students, the reading level and action within are more than
appropriate. Since the story has a main character who hates math as well as one
who doesn’t, this book can connect to many students. This text would be used
outside of class along with other texts such as The Number Devil or The
Phantom Tollbooth. The students would have a fun book to read in their
spare time that they would choose, read, and discuss with a group of their
peers. This assignment would not bear much weight grade-wise as the purpose is
not assessment. I would have them keep annotations or some form of
participation notes so that I could make sure the assignment was being
completed.
In class, we’ve also discussed various websites and tools
that we can use in classrooms along with our texts and strategies. Mr. Robinson
has introduced us to Donors Choose, a
website that allows teachers to request donations for certain items needed for
their class. These requests can then be funded by any individual who wishes to
donate. This site could be helpful in building a classroom library in the
future, especially if I am trying to buy sets of the same books. We also used SoundCloud to record and upload
podcasts. Students could easily do this with technology that should be readily
accessible. Most importantly, we used Blogger
to track our reading and progress throughout the course. This resource could be
useful for readings, review, checking depth of comprehension, and more. In a math
course, this site could be used for students to explain concepts more in depth
than they could in class. The students could also interact and present their
projects via Blogger.
[583]
No comments:
Post a Comment