Monday, November 14, 2016

Keeping Your Kiddos In Mind

This chapter was a nice little tap on the shoulder. Personally, my earliest memories of education, and just of my life in general, are of my mother and I sitting at my desk in our basement while I learned phonics. I don’t remember not being able to read. More importantly, I don’t ever remember not wanting to read. I was friends with the librarians at all of my schools because I was in there so much. While I was fortunate enough to grow up with a love and appreciation of reading, it’s important that I remember that not everyone was. 


I will most likely have students in my math or science classes that are struggling readers and I cannot forget them as I teach. The book even discusses how “most of our thinking as we read is nearly unconscious” (283). Modeling my thinking and being patient with my students who don’t share the same perspective on reading as I do should be one of the thoughts that remains at the forefront of my mind every time I step in front of students. In math and science subjects, the reading is difficult and incredibly important to understand concepts and material. If a student is unable to navigate a word problem effectively, how would they be able to do well on a test? These strategies, mainly think-alouds and annotating text, are methods that any student should feel comfortable enough with that they can then focus on learning the actual content.


[248]

2 comments:

  1. Hey Maddie! Thanks for your post! I am not so bad at reading but I also think be aware of the students who is struggling with reading is really important. Personally I found think-aloud is really useful for math class because knowing teacher’s thinking process provide the students with the method of how to do the problem. (57 words)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maddie! One of the greatest gifts you can give your future students is that they leave your class better at both math and reading. And as we know, improving reading is only going to benefit math skills.

    ReplyDelete